loader
Picha

Gas company plans massive investments

 

The company has therefore asked the government to invest heavily in education to create a pool of highly qualified and skilled human resource to serve in the prospective oil and gas industry.“The huge LNG plant that we envisage will definitely require many people with relevant skills…this is the challenge for Tanzania to prepare well in advance to supply the market with the requisite workforce,” Statoil ASA President and Chief Executive Officer Helge Lund said in Dar es Salaam yesterday.

He advised Tanzanians to put emphasis on science education for their children as potential geologists for Statoil, which would prefer having over 95 per cent of its workforce sourced locally.“Although we don’t have skill deficiency in our operations right now, we foresee acute shortage of skilled people in a decade time when we expect to start production,” Mr Lund said.

Statoil Country Manager Bjorn Albert Holbaek Rasmussen said the gas and oil giant aspires doing professional, efficient, competitive and high valued business.Mr Rasmussen said the company is investing a lot in technology, saying oil and gas is a complicated industry whose economic impacts can be realised over long period. He said the good relation between the company and the communities around its operations is of paramount importance.

The company announced in February 2012 that it had encountered indications of natural gas in the Zafarani exploration well in the Block 2 licence offshore in Southern Tanzania. Industry analysts have described the new and largest ever discovery in the country as a potential catalyst for large scale natural gas developments in Tanzania.

The huge gas discovery reinforces the country’s hopes to become a gas production and distribution hub serving fast-growing Asian markets.Statoil operates the licence on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC), with a 65 per cent working interest while ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania Ltd hold the remaining 35 per cent.

Statoil has been in Tanzania since 2007 when it was awarded the licence for Block 2. TPDC has the right to 10 per cent working interest in case of a development phase.

AFTER the completion of 1.7bn/-worth of development projects ...

foto
Author: MASATO MASATO

Post your comments

Recent Posts

Categories

more headlines in our related posts

latest # news