“God is everything. I thank him very much for this development. I also thank all the people who have been supporting me all along,” Lulu said amid sobs just few minutes after High Court Deputy Registrar Francis Kabwe verified her bail conditions set previously by Judge Zaiban Mruke.
Lulu told reporters that being released on bail was just a first step and she needed more support and prayers from well-wishers ahead of her trial on manslaughter case she is facing. Several people, including her co-bongo movie actors and actresses thronged the court’s building to witness the memorable event.
Her advocate Peter Kibatala later dismissed rumours that immediately after being released, Lulu would visit the grave of her former boy friend, Steven Kanumba, t the Kinondoni Cemetery. “This is not true at all. We have advised her to concentrate on the case and nothing else,” the advocate said.
After the session, Lulu left the court premises with her mother and close relatives in a Toyota Land Cruiser VX Number T 480 CFX. On Monday, Judge Mruke granted Lulu bail on four conditions, including securing two sureties, who must be government employees.
The two sureties, according to the judge, were required to sign a bond of 20m/- each. The judge further ordered Lulu to surrender all her travelling documents to the High Court District Registrar, Dar es Salaam and was directed not to leave the city without securing permission from the court.
According to the judge, Lulu should report to the Registrar on the first day of each month until final disposal of her case. She could not be released immediately because such conditions were to be verified by the Registrar. Apparently the verification exercise could not be conducted as the Registrar was out of office.
The session was adjourned to yesterday, forcing Lulu to be returned to remand. Lulu is charged with murdering without intention Kanumba on April 7, last year, at Sinza Vatican. Kanumba was said to have been embroiled in a brawl with Lulu at his Sinza home in Dar es Salaam.